S.T.Dupont

ST+DUPONT

Simon Tissot Dupont founded a carriage company which was destroyed in a fire in 1872. The same year he bought a workshop which made leather briefcases for diplomats and businessmen. In 1884, Dupont became the supplier to one of the world’s largest shops – Les Grands Magasins du Louvre – while maintaining his private clientele.

Dupont handed over his company to his sons in 1919, Lucien and Andre, who, trading under the name of Les Fils de S.T. Dupont (the Sons of S.T. Dupont) relaunched the activity. They focused on high quality travel cases and accessories. Craftsmen were employed and patents were taken out to protect industrial secrets. 250 workers and 17 separate traders were involved in the manufacture, including goldsmiths, woodworkers, engravers, leather craftsmen, lacquer workers, and locksmiths.

S.T. Dupont transferred its workshops from rue Dieu in Paris back to the family’s hometown of Faverges in Savoy in 1924.

In 1929 Lucien Tissot Dupont was invited to New York by Louis Cartier to present his travel cases in their 5th Avenue shop. On the ship going to New York he learned about the Wall Street crash. In response, on his subsequent return to Paris he decided to move even further upmarket and cater to clients unaffected by the crash.

In 1971, Gillette purchased 48% of the stock of S.T. Dupont, and in 1987 the company was sold to Dickson Concepts.